Chapter 14

At this point, the vehicle was pretty well fleshed out in terms of where everything was destined to go, and it was time to take the whole thing apart again, beat down the surface rust, weld on patch plates and fish plates and more gussets, and immerse the frame in POR-15. I weighed the bare frame at 179#.  After two coats (assisted by my friend Karen) the shining, smooth black frame was ready to receive the components again, this time with a better class of fasteners holding everything together.  After thinking about it for at least a year, I decided upon how I would approach the lower struts which originally extended from near the front spring’s center
mounting point out to the kingpins. When the transverse spring flattens, it gets longer. This happens on a radius roughly half the length of the spring. The idea is to limit camber change to some extent, but also to keep the front end together in the event of a spring cracking. The original pieces were rather flimsy sheet metal affairs with an oblong hole on the medial end which housed a grommet which would slide around when the suspension was under a load.  I decided to design a bracket that was significantly beefier with a slot that accommodated a paired set of machined bronze bearings.  Here are some pics before and after all this was done. Also note pics of the clutch,brake and gas pedals I made from some rusty perforated metal which turned out really cool!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s